Friday, August 26, 2011

The Good, Bad, & real Ugly.

I think I'm back to my old self. Finally. That was the worst illness I have ever had. My doctors still do not know exactly what affected my body, but they sent off two cultures to determine what my infection is. My fever is gone, I've stopped throwing up, I can stand without falling over, and best of all I can stay awake for more than 30 minutes!! I even managed to drop 11 pounds during my illness. Probably because I could only eat broth, but hey I'll happily give the 11 pounds away. Since January of this year I have lost 71 pounds. Boo-ya!

Now on to the moola! Thankfully when I became ill on August 5 my husband's new health insurance kicked in. Thank you God! They covered 80% of all the medical bills and the hospital bill. Unfortunately, we have a deductible of $500 for prescriptions. So every prescription I was ordered we had to pay cash. I was prescribed a total of 9 different scripts (which I finished today!) and they came to $466! If we did not have that emergency fund I don't know what would have happened.

Unfortunately since I was out of commission from August 9-August 24 my poor hubby had to fend for himself for food, clothing, and laundry. Even though the day before I became really I fully stocked the fridge and freezer, my husband decided to eat out for every meal the whole 15 days I was sick. He took out almost $300 from our emergency fund to feed himself for 15 days. I know he is exhausted from working 2 jobs, but the man can cook so I don't know why he didn't. When I asked him why today, he said he cooked 1 meal. When I asked what he made, he said a hamburger helper meal! Grr! When I looked into the fridge today there was so much rotten and spoiled food I could choke him. I found an entire full gallon of milk that expires on Sunday that I have been chugging and using all day in every way possible today.

We went from $1300 in our emergency fund to only $530!! I'm sick about it, but there isn't a thing I can do now.

In good news, I finally have a job! I was offered PRN social worker position at a local hospital yesterday. It is full time for 8-10 weeks and then drops to PRN. My plan is to work full time for those 8-10 weeks while searching for a full time position. My hubby is still trying to decide what to do about his job. He thinks he will keep his 6p-3am job because he enjoys it most. His boss at his day job understands our situation and has offered my hubby a part time position working 4 days a week for 6 hours each day and he is seriously considering it. I don't start my job until Sept 6, so he has some time to decide.

I'll be more regular now that I'm back to life! Hope everyone has a nice weekend and stays safe from Irene.


  1. So glad you are better. I thought a lot about you. Husband's are the pits in some ways. But at least you had the fund. Also working as many hours as he did is over whelming, I am sure cooking for himself would have put him over the edge. I am very happy about your new job. God is good. But you are also working very hard and are blessed for your efforts. I am so thankful you are back.

  2. I'm happy to hear you're doing better! :) As for hubby taking $300 out for food, I would have throttled him. lol! 99% of fast food & even restaurant meals are crap & insanely bad for you.

    Hope you're able to build back up your emergency funds & that hubby realizes that it's used for emergencies or it kinda defeats the purpose! lol!

  3. glad to hear you are feeling better and thats great news about the job!

  4. So glad to hear you are well and things are improving on many levels! I think if my husband were working two jobs and I was very sick, he'd have done a lot of eating out too--not an excuse, just an explanation! Good luck with your new job!