Monday, July 18, 2011

Cha..Cha..Changes!

As I was opening the mail today I was about to throw away what I thought was junk mail, but my hubby yelled, "stop, it's a check!" Well he was correct, it was a check. A refund check from the State of Kentucky (he used to live in KY before we were married and then he moved to Indiana to be with me!) from 5 years ago for my husband. Here's the kicker though: it was for $2.45! It actually made me happy because we are now $2.45 closer to our 1k emergency fund.

A lot has changed because 2 weeks ago, I probably would have thrown the check away rather than deal with pitiful check. It's different now because the check is already in the bank!

Apparently there's a lot of things you'll be willing to do when you don't have a job. Today my hubby and went shopping...but it's not the type of shopping you're thinking. We went shopping in our deep freezer and fridge freezer. There is so much stuff in there that we completely forgot about. Now we don't need hardly anything from the store. There were 53 meals in those freezers not counting all the deer meat from my hubby. I know, I know it's pathetic that we have that much unaccounted for food. This realization leads me to our next money saving strategy: we will not be eating out or buying meals for the next 50 days. Blog pals you're going to have to hold me accountable because I can easily give in. The only thing we'll go to the store for are the sides and such because we don't have much in way of veggies and fruit.

Also we have decided to do No Spend Days. It is going to be very difficult because we love to go to a local gas station called Chuckles because they have super cheap fountain sodas and we are addicted! It is also going to be hard for us on Sundays because we love to go out to lunch with our church pals. We are going to put ourselves with a goal of no more than 2 spend days per week.

Putting it in His hands!

11 comments:

  1. That is great. It will be hard, but nothing worth having is easy right?

    I deposited a check for 1.01 this year. Hey its money

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheap soda refills, might be something I keep. If you can treat yourself once a day for .59 cents it might keep you going. I would deposit a small check like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck to you! you will save tons by eating out of your freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, money is money - I'd deposit it, too! Great news that you have so much of a freezer stockpile. Times like these are exactly what it should be there for. You have a great attitude so I know you're going to make it!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I applaud you for making those changes. But remember, if you try and change everything at once, it becomes hard to sustain. I am all for setting goals, but if you don't make them attainable, you will quit.

    But we are here for ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog today. Wow, I don't know how I would handle life if both of us lost our jobs. I am a Christian as well but........somehow I think I would be falling apart.
    Know that you are being prayed for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the blogosphere! There are a bunch of us facing financial woes just like you.

    Congratulations for putting yourself out there and starting a plan.

    Sounds like you are on your way to doing this right. I personally enjoy "dinner and a movie" nights at my house. Friday is cheap pizza night - by that I mean watching the local store I favour, and walking down the frozen food aisle. Last week there were our favourites on for $3.99 a piece, and I had coupons! Dinner and a movie night this week is costing us $1.00!!

    From here on out the most important thing i can remind you about is perspective. You can have a date night at home with one of those 53 meals in your freezer. Break out the nice dishes, use the fancy glasses and silver, light some candles, put on some soothing music and Voila! Instant restaurant feeling, mood lighting and a date night =)

    I look forward to watching your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are doing great! keep plugging away at getting that emergency fund in place, then you can start with the debt.
    could you do some tutoring for extra money? or make papers for a university in your subject area?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep up the positive attitude, you can do it! I don't know what I would do if both my husband and I lost our jobs (mine being only part time, but needed!) Hopefully you've both applied for unemployment, and help from your local church. WOw! That's a lot of food stored up! You can save a lot of money using it up and avoiding waste at the same time!

    I'll be here cheering you on!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for visiting my blog! I love new friends and your encouraging words. Stay tuned because I'm sure my life will be crazy for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Make sure your friends all know you are both unemployed. Two reasons - to support you in your no spend/no eat out goals and to keep their eyes and ears open for jobs for you.

    Also, look to see if you have one near you - could stretch your food dollars:
    http://www.angelfoodministries.com/

    ReplyDelete